FUN WITH MATH!!
PARENT TIPS to HELP Young Children Learn to do Math
- NUMERACY, NUMBER SENSEand PROBLEM SOLVING start with parents teaching numbers. Create a working knowledge of how to count forwards by 1’s to 100.
- Parents can do a variety of activities to enhance a numeracy, number sense and problem-solving curriculum.
- Use MATH VOCABULARYto communicate mathematical thinking.
- Ask your child HOW they solved a problem.
- Practice mental mathematics inaddition and subtraction.
- Mental mathematics enables students to determine answers without paper and pencil. It improves computational fluency by developing efficiency, accuracy and flexibility.
- Work on estimationwith your child.
- Show and talk about what numbers represent, use concrete materials to compare.
- Investigate fractions and money amounts; estimate, measure, and describe length, time, and temperature.
- Engage your child in mathematical discussions.
- Connect mathematical ideas and concepts in to everyday experiences.
- Apply problem-solving strategiesto real life situations
- Encourage your child to reflect on and extend their understandingof mathematics as it occurs in their everyday activities, play, and conversations.
- Encourage your child to TALK MATH, and make Learning Math FUN FUN FUN!
EDUCATING OUR CHILDREN IS THE BEST INVESTMENT WE CAN MAKE!
Download FREE activity Samples!